Monday, April 25, 2011

Taking Breaks from a Healthy Lifestyle

Do you think it is ok to "take a vacation" from eating healthy and working out while you're on vacation or on special occasions, such as holidays? Will one day or one week really matter? What do you think?

My personal opinion is that it depends on the person. If you're the type of person that is already struggling to eat healthy and work out everyday, taking a week off or even a day could really put a dent in your success. This type of person may find it hard to start back up again. They will continue to eat and (not) exercise like they are always on vacation. On the other hand, if you have been working really hard with your nutrition and exercising consistently, then I think that you should be able to reward yourself every now and then with a "cheat" day. The key is "every now and then". You shouldn't take an entire day each week to "cheat". It's suggested that you have one meal a week that is considered cheating - if you want to stay on track. It's important to give yourself cheat meals. This is all about a lifestyle change. There is no way you're going to go your whole life without eating your favorite greasy food again. Eating once a month or so, will hopefully help satisfy your cravings and give you something to work for.

This topic sparked my interest because recently my Mom went on a cruise and yesterday was Easter. My Mom planned on visiting the fitness center everyday on her cruise. She came back and told me she didn't even go once, however she stayed pretty active during her cruise. So while she did take a vacation from working out on her vacation, she wasn't just being a complete bum. She was proud to announce that she only gained 1 pound on her cruise! That's pretty impressive knowing how much food is available on those cruise ships! Yesterday, being Easter, was my test. I'm not going to lie... I ate horribly. I totally indulged in my Grandma's mashed potatoes and gravy. They were SO good! Even though I am 22 years old, my Mom got me an Easter basket full of my favorite candy and a Subway gift card :] How could I resist my favorite candy? I couldn't! I did do one thing that I was proud of yesterday... I worked out! I think this is one of the first times that I have actually worked out on a holiday. So that was pretty big for me. I knew that if I was eating horribly, I had to at least workout so I could burn some of those calories off. I didn't even log my calories yesterday, I didn't even want to know how many I ate. But I think that's ok, because today I am back on track.

So what do you think? Do you use vacations and holidays as breaks from your healthy lifestyle or are you disciplined enough to stay on track?

No comments:

Post a Comment