Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Set the Bar High!

The word Goals has been in my vocabulary for quite some time. When I was in high school, I was on my high school cheerleading team and like most sports teams, we had goals. We had individual goals, as well as team goals. It was always fun to set a goal at the beginning of the season to have something to work toward all season long. As I graduated high school, I became a cheerleading coach. I always have my teams set goals. We don't just come up with goals and keep them in the back of our mind, we write them down. I usually have my girls make a big poster with all their goals on it. It gives them something to look at during practice, it's especially helpful when they are having a hard day.

So what exactly is a goal? According to Dictionary.com:
–noun
1. the result or achievement toward which effort is directed; aim; end.
2. the terminal point in a race.
3. a pole, line, or other marker by which such a point is indicated.
In other words, it's something you work toward. I've learned over the years that a goal should include, what you want to do and when you want to accomplish that by. I think a lot of people when thinking of goals forget the WHEN. It's important to put a deadline to your goal. You should always create several goals including long term and short term goals. Short term can be two weeks to a month from now and Long term can be a couple months to a year from now. Goals should also include how you're going to get there. What are you going to do to lose the weight? What are you going to change to be able to spend more time with your kids?

Another important thing to do is to WRITE down your goals on paper. You don't have to hang it on your wall if you don't feel comfortable, but at least have it written down. Don't think you can just keep it up in your head. Goals are just dreams until they are on paper! If you want to keep yourself more accountable then hang up your goal in a common area - such as your bathroom. You will go into your bathroom several times a day, so seeing that goal posted on the mirror can help you stay focused.

One last thing is to make your goals reasonable and attainable. They should be something that you have to work hard for, but still are achievable. For example, if you're working a minimum wage job right now, it wouldn't be reasonable to set a goal to be a millionaire by the end of the month. Sorry, but chances are slim that it will happen.

Today, I wrote down my goals. I've had my goals in the back of mind for quite some time now. I finally decided to take my own advice and write them down. Here are my goals:
  1. To lose 4 pounds by May 7th. I currently weight 134 and have since the beginning of the year. I'm ready to break this plateau and get to 130! I am going to do this by watching my food intake and making sure I exercise 6 days a week. I chose May 7th because that's the day I graduate from college. I could celebrate two successes in one day!
  2. A long term goal of mine is to weigh 125 by August 1st. I am going to achieve this goal by counting my calories on a daily basis, and incorporating strength training and cardio to my everyday workout routine. My best friend gets married in August and I want to be able to get my bridesmaid dress altered to at least one size smaller by then. 125 is also the weight I left high school, so it would just be awesome to weigh that again. That's only 9 pounds less than I am right now, so I know I can do it!
  3. One of my business goals is to help one person get on Shakeology Home Direct by the end of April. I want to introduce this shake in to someone's daily life so it can help them like it did me! I am going to send out samples so people can try it before they buy it. I will share this shake with everyone that I think could benefit from it... which is EVERYONE!
  4. My academic goal is to achieve a 4.0 in one of my classes, and at least a 3.5 in two of my other classes by the end of the semester. I am going to do this by not procrastinating, taking my time with my homework, and studying for my exams. I know by my grades right now, it wouldn't be reasonable to work toward a 4.0 in all of my classes so that's why I am aiming for a 3.5. Plus, these are the grades I need to raise my overall GPA to a 3.6. I am at a dang 3.5 and some odd decimal numbers right now, so it would be awesome just to raise it to a 3.6. I can do this!
Already today, writing down these goals has helped me. I didn't feel like working out but you know what? I did anyways! I have goals that I need to achieve. I will not fail! And if I do, I'll just set new goals! It will be ok!

I invite you to share some of your goals with me. I want to know what you are working hard toward! Please feel free to comment with your goals here on this blog, write them on My Facebook, or Tweet me your goals! If you don't want everyone else to know your goals, but would like to share them with me please send me an email: bbcoachalicia@gmail.com. I can also help you write goals if you need help.

No comments:

Post a Comment